- GuitarDir is now restored and up and running. I'm keeping the old news below to give a bit of background for those that didn't know GuitarDir! The design (dated anyway!) is back to basic but what matters the most is that it can restart getting visits and contributions... Welcome back and feel free to contribute again!
- GuitarDir is hacked and put down. Just stupid. I'm baffled by such behaviour and too busy to restore now. Thanks for all contributions, the database and the pics are safe, we'll be back one day...
- Makers' list: 'Informations' icon now groups all informations on maker, notes on serial numbering and models identification, links and website. All these informations are now part of the search engine.
- A 'Pager' icon has been added to the chat.
- Administrators have access to the 'Admin's corner' tab.
- Administrators can now easily rename makers, series and models.
- Administrators can now get a referers tracking.
- In the statistics, informations (website, notes, etc) have been added to the number of links.
- Two new functions into the models list: Back to catalog, makers refresh (after you added a new model, for example...).
- We've gone over 3,000 checked images! Stats on 20 May 2008:
- Electrics: 1570 brands, 592 checked models, 6448 models to review, 2439 checked pics and 621 infos/links,
- Acoustics: 1110 brands, 66 checked models, 1359 models to review, 464 checked pics and 257 infos/links,
- Basses: 534 brands, 32 checked models, 642 models to review, 114 checked pics and 122 infos/links.
6 December 2007:
- in 'About...': 'How to...' and 'Dictionary' added.
- in 'How to contribute...': 'Contributors Gallery', 'How to...' and 'Glossary' added.
- Updating Specs is now section dependent.
- A full list of all brands within GD can now be accessed via the Search module.
- The 'Links' button now consolidates all makers/brands links.
- Last modification date is now displayed with section statistics.
- Forum modifications: No more French section, bibliography topic added.
- Dutch guitarist John Dirven gave GD permission to assimilate his impressive collection into the lists. Thanks John! (search 'Dirven' for overview contributed pics).
- Wilhelm (see 'Contributors Gallery') was added to GD's staff as Moderator/Admin. Welcome W!
10 November 2007:
- 'Photo gallery'-function has been added in all three sections. Clicking the camera icon next to maker/brand name brings up a dynamically constructed gallery formed with all pics of guitars from this maker/brand that exist in GD.
- There's been a modification to the makers/brand names typefaces, distinguishing the brands that actually do contain pics and/or specs, from the 'empty' ones.
- Same kind of enhancement in the 'chat', to increase readability.
- GuitarDir officially met the Cort USA Forum's users. Please have a look at their site!
- Some bugs have been fixed (size and location of pics were sometimes wrong, etc).
- We've gone well over 2000 checked pics on GuitarDir now!
7 October 2007:
- The new design (by K9) has been implemented (by Dom). Thanks to all that contributed ideas and suggestions. More improvements, also to the site's content, will follow shortly. Please let us know what you think of the result!
21 September 2007:
- A light Chat system has been implemented and can now be used. Please refer to the 'Improving GuitarDir' section in the Forum to obtain details.
8 September 2007:
- Search now uses brands label.
26 August 2007:
- The 'Sponsor' section has been removed. GuitarDir remains a non-commercial site that relies on active contributions: Specs entry, picture uploads, participation to the forum. Some users also help to the site maintenance and administration.
- GuitarDir was until yesterday dedicated to electric guitars only. We've made room (in the form of dedicated sections) for bass guitars and acoustic guitars: No more excuses!
21 August 2007:
- Since the number of models is increasing fast (now more than 5,000), we now select them from the list of makers...
- A first release of the search function is now available! This function will be enhanced during the next days/weeks.
11 August 2007:
- Clicking an image brings up a new window with the image in its original format.
16 May 2007:12 April 2007:
- More than 1000 makers/brands since today!
- This 'News' section has been added.
- Links are now available (besides Makers). They target sites giving informations about the Maker and its production, especially important when the Maker no longer exists. Please use the Forum for asking or suggesting a new link.
Thank you for joining and contributing!